April 18, 2010

half marathon

So where do I begin? Basically, after training for 5 months and feeling great, my body decides it doesn't want to work at the race... After about 5-6 miles, my body just shut down. My stomach hurt like a mutha, I kept getting shivers through my body, and my head was spinning. Lovely. Ughhh I was so frustrated. Usually I have some control over how slow or fast I go, but this time there was only one speed I could go, and that was slow. I thought, am I really going to be able to finish?! All of my nightmares about this race were coming true- I ate the wrong thing for breakfast so my stomach hurt, I had to go to the bano (I seriously had a fear of this!), and I wasn't sure I was going to finish. Probably one of the most frustrating moments of my life. Well, I did finish. Going across that finish line I just felt ashamed, not the proud feelings I thought I would feel at that moment. Let's just say my time wasn't so great. It was far worse than my 12.7 mile run a couple weeks ago that I finished with ease. I went through this just wanting to finish, not get a great time, so I don't know why I care so much. I think just knowing I could have done better just gets to me. I am thinking about running another one in a couple months to prove to myself I can do better, and so I don't look back at this experience in frustration. This will NOT be my last half marathon!


Jace was a little confused at first...

This is towards the end. What kind of stride is that?! The only thing that got that smile on my face was Makenna and Jace yelling "Go mom! Go mom! Go mom!"

After the race with Jenny. Jenny did great, I am very proud of her! I also want to give a little shout out to her because without her I wouldn't have been able to run this race. We traded kids twice a week so we could run, and ran together all last year. Thanks Jenny, you rock!

5 comments:

Stef said...

I would say you should be proud to have finished! That is a HUGE feat! It may not have been the time that you wanted, but that is NOTHING to be ashamed of. Just more of a motivating tool. You rock!!

Liz E said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. I know it is dissapointing to you but you are in incredible shape and it can only get better for the next one. Keep it up!

Sandy: said...

Kristie, I am so proud of you for even taking this on. You have been working so hard. I hope you don't keep beating yourself up about this. Look at the whole picture...you are in great shape and you finished the race, even though you didn't feel so well. I know you will do better on the next one. You are awesome.

Juliana said...

That stinks! I had a race similar to that but it was my IT Band that started telling me it didn't like what I was doing to it at about mile 4 or 5. Dang....BUT, congratulations for finishing! That's rough! You should totally do it again! You'll do great! Ü Not everyone can run a half-marathon and not everyone can finish it when you feel like crap so YAHOO to you!

hatchbatch said...

You did awesome! I was so fun to run with you guys! What do you think, next year?:)