April 7, 2010

Easter

I have been trying really hard to make holidays more exciting for the kids. Sometimes a holiday will come and go without hardly any recognition at all! I was thinking about my childhood and how much I LOVED holidays and traditions, so I decided that I need to do more! So this year, I tried a little harder. First, we dyed Easter eggs for FHE. The next morning Scott hid them before he left for seminary, so they had an Easter egg hunt for the hard-boiled eggs when they woke up. Then a couple days later I went to Wal-mart and bought some cute cookie cutters. We made the cookies together *I have to admit that this took a lot of patience for me because they kept eating the dough and messing up the already cut cookies... It took quite a while to finish and I wanted to shoot myself by the end, but I tried, and the kids loved it!*


On Saturday the kids got to with the Burns to their Easter Egg Hunt, while we got to go to the Rockies/Mariners game at Isotopes park. They said they really had a fun time, so thanks Stef!

Sunday, I decided to start a new tradition, or I guess the Easter bunny did I mean... The kids got a ball of yarn and had to follow it all over the house until they eventually found their Easter Baskets. It was really fun for Makenna, Jace had no idea what was happening but enjoyed his Easter basket when he found it. Easter baskets for my kids consist of things they already needed/stuff I already had in my gift stash. :) The Easter bunny also left eggs around the house for them to find.

We really enjoyed watching conference on Easter Weekend. What a perfect time to listen to our Prophet/Leaders, and celebrate Christ. I was really touched by the things that were said, and am trying really hard to apply them to my life. Two themes stuck out to me: being better parents, and receiving personal inspiration to guide our lives.

Besides all the fun Easter stuff and traditions, we tried really hard this year to help the kids (mostly Makenna) understand that we celebrate Easter because of Christ. It has been really neat to see Makenna begin to understand Christ's atonement and his resurrection. I love how Makenna is such a sponge at this age and she'll just sit there with her wide eyes as we teach her. It really made this Easter extra special.

following the yarn to the baskets

They found them!

1 comment:

Sandy: said...

love the look on Makenna's face on that last picture. It looks like the kids had a lot of fun for Easter.