June 15, 2010

A good reminder

Today was just one of those days. I didn't have a lot of patience, and the kids probably didn't deserve the kind of mom I was today. When Scott got home I told him how the day had gone, and he reminded me that we should probably read our scriptures better. I have to admit that we are horrible with family scripture reading! Basically we hardly ever do it.
So tonight after story time, I got out the Old Testament reader and began reading from the beginning. As I read, the spirit flooded into that room. My kids were so interested, and every time we finished reading a story, Jace would say "read more mom!" It really was amazing. We read a few stories, then I put them to bed. They did their usual, "mom I'm hungry!" and "mom, I need my bear!" and "mom, it's too dark in here!" If I had still been in my impatient mood I would have just shut the door and said good night! But tonight I had all the patience in the world. I saw them as precious children of God instead of the little rascals I saw them as earlier. It really is amazing what a difference reading the scriptures can make. I have been praying lately to have more patience, and what I really needed was to invite the spirit into our home through scriptures. It really is that simple. I'm grateful that Heavenly Father is constantly looking out for me and helping me through the hard days. :)

Love that little rascal!

2 comments:

Stef said...

Thanks for the reminder!! Isn't it interesting how that one promise is fulfilled EVERY time we listen... His words WILL bring the Spirit into our homes.
If only I/we would remember that!
So, again, thanks for the reminder.

Sandy: said...

Isn't it amazing how quickly our Heavenly Father wants to bless us? We really only have to take the very first step and then he starts pouring out the blessing upon us. I love the picture of you and Jace. When was that taken? Love you. See you in 1 week!!!