July 13, 2011

Pregnant Woman

I am adding yet one more complication to the list of complications I have had this pregnancy!  I have gestational diabetes!  I could not believe that my tests came back that I had it.  I have changed my diet for the last week which has been really hard, yet easy at the same time.  Hard because it is hard to just figure out what I can eat, and easy because I know it is what is best for baby Lee.  This is a sample of what I eat in a day:

Breakfast: toast with peanut butter
snack: cottage cheese/fruit
lunch: turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread
lots of veggies
snack: piece of fruit/slices of cheese
dinner: salad
meat dish
snack: nuts/cheese

Did you see any sugar in there?  Nope neither did I (besides the fruit) cause there is none!  I have had to cut out sweet stuff completely.  This is semi hard for a pregnant woman to do!  Especially one that craves sugary things all day!  

I have to take my blood sugar level 4 times/day to make sure I'm within good levels.  I'm nervous because I just started today, and my lunch level was high and I was just eating what I always eat... ulllll this is going to be a long couple of months!  Hopefully it will all go away once the baby is born, and the baby will be born nice and healthy!  That is my wish!

This is what we are trying to avoid!  Did you hear about this sweet 16 pound baby that was born to a mother with Gestational Diabetes?  Big babies are a side effect of GD, as well as other problems the baby can have at birth.  Through monitoring on my end we should be able to avoid all complications.

In other news I am feeling a lot less sick since I changed my diet!  I am still sick when I first wake up until I eat, but I no longer get sick because I "eat the wrong thing" during the day!  It was probably the GD all along!    craziness.

3 comments:

Chad and Annie said...

I'm so sorry Kristie that you have to worry about gestational diabetes. On a good note, you are eating so healthy and it will be so good for you and your baby!! I am so sorry though, it will be hard but I know you can do it!! You always have a good attitude about everything and always are successful at everything you do! I hope you are doing good and I am so glad to hear your sickness is getting better. I hope to see you soon!!

Jenna said...

I'm sorry to hear about your new complication. You have been such a champ through it all. I hope it gets easier with the eating things and goes away once this baby is born!

Juliana said...

That stinks! I had it with McKay, my first baby. I had to do the same things you are doing and guess what. He was only a 7lb baby! I was two weeks early though. My doc wanted to induce me early to make sure he wasn't big. Hopefully all will go well! My other two babies were just as big or a little bigger and born a week early. Sometimes I wonder if I was just borderline or something....I did not have GD with the other two and it goes away after you have your baby! Good luck! Ü Excited to see pics of the new addition! Miss you guys!