February 26, 2009

Food Storage

I am proud to say that we finally have a good collection of food storage! For any of you that aren't members of the LDS church, we believe it is good to have a supply of food storage in case there is a natural disaster, or you are unemployed etc. In my mind this is good advice for everyone, especially with how the economy is going. I don't know why, but I'm so excited that we have our supply! It just feels good to know that we are self-sufficient. I have been grinding our wheat to use for breads and pancakes, and I wanted to share a couple recipes with you guys because they are AMAZING!!

These pancakes are SOOO good and SOOO healthy! They are the best whole-wheat pancakes I've ever had. My kids gobble these up! This recipe originally came from the "Set For Life" cookbook, but I found it on a blog a little while back.

Pancake Master Mix

The Mix:
10 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups white flour
1/2 cup baking powder
4 t. salt
3/4 cup sugar
4 cups nonfat dry milk

To make the pancakes:
1 cup master mix
1 T. oil
1 egg
3/4 cup water

If you use freshly ground wheat flour, keep the master mix in the fridge. I actually had to half the recipe to fit it in my tupperware, so you might want to start out with just half the recipe. This feeds my little family pretty well, but I like the leftovers, so usually make 1 1/2 times the recipe for all 4 of us. (2 eggs) I like to keep the recipe to make the pancakes taped on my tupperware.

Honey Wheat Bread I

Ingredients:
1 (.25 ounce) package rapid rise yeast
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup melted shortening (*I use canola oil, not a shortening fan)
1/4 cup honey
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups bread flour

2 tablespoons butter

DIRECTIONS

  1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup warm water.
  2. Combine milk, 1/4 cup water, shortening, honey, salt and wheat flour in food processor or bowl. Mix in yeast mixture, and let rest 15 minutes. Add white flour, and process until dough forms a ball. Knead dough by processing an additional 80 seconds in food processor, or mix and knead by hand 10 minutes. Place the dough in a buttered bowl, and turn to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rise for 45 minutes, or until almost doubled.
  3. Punch down, and divide dough in half. Roll out each half, and pound out the bubbles. Form into loaves, and place in buttered 9x5 inch bread pans. Butter the tops of the dough, and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm area until doubled; second rise should take about 30 minutes.
  4. Place a small pan of water on the bottom shelf of the oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
  5. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until tops are dark golden brown. Butter crusts while warm. Slice when cool.

4 comments:

Rolene and David said...

You go girl! David and I are starting to get the food storage bug ourselves, wish we were as far as you! How is my sweet neice and nephew? Are they both feeling better?

Sandy: said...

Way to go, Kristie. I'm excited for you. You have become such a great homemaker!! Who would have ever known you would be grinding your own wheat and baking bread? Love it. And I love you. Give the kids a big hug and kiss from Grandma!!

Summer said...

Look at you go Kristie! I am very impressed. Wish I could say I was there with you......someday SOON hopefully. What wheat grinder do you use and would you recommend it??

Rebecca said...

I love w.w. pancakes! Thanks for the recipes and good job on getting your food storage! And, good job for grinding your wheat. I have a big bag of it, but grinding it is a whole other animal.